Sunday, February 13, 2011

Contrast

In the last month I have added three clients to my caseload, including twin four-year-olds, blonde-headed with bright blue eyes. The twins live in a foster home after SRS took them from their home due to neglect and unfit conditions. They have been in several placements before arriving at this foster home where I began seeing them.

What fascinates me about them, as young as they are, is that both of them have reacted to their early-life trauma is opposite ways. One exhibits mostly external behaviors: ADHD, aggressiveness and difficulty getting along with his peers at preschool. His brother seems to have internalized everything they experienced as he is quiet, more reserved and has been observed talking to no one, as well as engaging in fantasy play which has manifested itself in him 'planning' Spongebob parties (I was even invited!).

These twins, contrasting in the outcome of their trauma, are as cute of kids as you could imagine. It is a privilege to work with them and I pray for their progress and growth as they develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment